At Last

I realized today that it had been a while since I blogged. I also realize that this is entirely my fault, and yet at the same I haven't really felt like I had anything worth putting out there for the blog-sphere to read...or perhaps I had some things I wanted to say, but didn't because I didn't want to sound petty or whiny or a million other adjectives that could describe what I began to put down in print. That being said...

"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves."
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

This quote came up on my quotations for the day...I thought it was appropriate. How often do we disguise ourselves from other people for whatever good reason we come up with at the time? We want people to like us. We want them to have a good opinion of us. We want to avoid conflict. We want to have something in common with others.

There are such a multitude of problems that come from this that I don't even want to attempt to tackle those first degree problems. The real problem comes from when we so frequently disguise ourselves that we no longer recognize who we are ourselves. It's bad enough to lie to other people about who you are, but to lie to yourself about who you are is even worse.

If you don't know who you are and what you want and what is important to you, then you can never experience true relationship and intimacy with other people.

I am trying to make a point to do this in my life. Whenever I hear a lie spoken in my heart about who I am, I correct it with truth. And I am trying to speak truth in all of my relationships as well. That is much more difficult for me to do because I am a person who feels incredibly loved by words of affirmation. I don't want to speak truth if that is going to influence whether or not I get people's affirmation. Yep...when it comes right down to it...I'm scared to be myself sometimes because I don't want to be rejected for who I am.

Part of me wants to live my life completely laid out, straight forward with everyone about who I am and what I stand for. But then I remember that there is such a thing as tact and appropriateness. And then sometimes I just think that is an excuse that I use in order to disguise myself to others...and eventually to myself as well.

It's well past my bedtime now...peace out yo!

At Last - Etta James

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!