Lessons from the Library

I went to town today to help my mom take some of her residents on a tour of the newly-renovated library. As I was waiting for her to arrive, I had a chance to observe several people going in and out of the library.

I enjoy watching older people. They came from a generation where parents still taught their children basic common courtesies. They know how to great each other politely and treat each other with kindness and politeness. Because that's how they were raised that's how they act on an every day basis. They may not be really good at expressing their emotions or being in touch with their feelings, but they do seem to have a few things figured out.

I think my generation could stand to take a few lessons from them. They work hard and take care of their responsibilities (like their family). They extend courtesy to the people around them and treat people the way they wanted to be treated. They know how to make decisions and they know the things worth fighting for in life. They have core values figured out, and they live what they believe. They live simply and enjoy life.

I live in a generation of people who aren't sure what's right and what's wrong, what' politically correct and what's not. I live in a generation that doesn't take a stand for anything because they don't know what they believe and what they don't. We need to start figuring out what we believe in and live it out in our lives.

My dad just used the word cognizant...awesome! Chocolate souffle comes out of the oven in 25 minutes and a nice glass of wine with mis padres before they head out for Mexico in the morning.

Peace out yo!

Comments

  1. goodness is that the truth! we definitely need to stand up and do something - our generation as a whole.

    thanks for sharing your insight, Meli! =] i love your heart

    PS and i'm secretly obsessed with libraries as well, teehee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!