rainy day ponderings

Two days of sunshine have rejuvenated me so that I can endure until the next time the sun shows us its bright shining face. And I will take rain over snow and sleet any day.

I may or may not have decided yesterday that I want to take a trip to New Zealand this summer. In fact, I started looking at plane tickets and dates that would work for me to go meet up with some of my friends who will be down there. I feel like this is mildly impulsive, but I do have reasoning behind my somewhat uncharacteristic behavior.

Usually, I am completely reliable and steady as a rock. I don't do anything unexpected or have any adventures. Okay, so I don't technically believe that. I think everyday is an adventure, but you know what I mean. I don't usually just take off and do things like this. Usually, big trips (like the kind this would be) are planned many, many months in advance (usually at least a year).

I guess I am very much like a hobbit in this matter. I stay home and take care of my responsibilities. But if I'm a hobbit, I am Bilbo Baggins. Because despite his love for the Shire and his desire to live a quiet and happy life, Bilbo is in fact an adventurer. And much like Bilbo, I am quite ready for another adventure.

I am graduating...in less than 2 months. I didn't do anything big to celebrate when I graduated from high school. (I don't think moving to D.C. to live with my sister counts because that wasn't really my adventure) I am single...what better time than now to go do something like this. I have the resources...if I decide I want to use them. I have the connections...a place to stay, people to go places with, and some awesome boys who would be protective (much safer than just going by myself).

Anyway, I have been reading in Proverbs and it says that plans made with many advisers succeed, so I'm planning to seek advice of my parents for starters. I think I already know what they are going to say, but I still think it would be nice to hear what they have to say.

So that is my big idea at the moment. We'll see if it actually goes anywhere, but I'm praying that it does because let's face it--I REALLY WANT TO GO TO NEW ZEALAND!!!!

On a completely different topic--

I was thinking the other day about how God is able to love us so much more than we are able to love Him. In fact, all of His emotions and thoughts and feelings run much deeper than we can ever begin to comprehend. I started thinking about why that is. Here's the conclusion that I came to.

The depth to which we are able to experience joy, love, peace, hope, etc. is directly related to the depth to which we are able to experience pain and suffering. Think about it. People who have even-keel lives don't experience great joys or great sorrows, but those who experience great sorrow and great suffering, are also those who are able to experience the greatest joy and happiness.

God experiences greater sorrows than we can ever imagine. When I even begin to try to comprehend how painful it must be to constantly be rejected by those you love my heart breaks into a thousand little pieces. That's what God experiences every single day.

Yet then when I try to comprehend His incredible, never-ending, unchanging love and faithfulness, I am so overwhelmed and humbled by how much He loves us. Both the depth of God's pain and the depth of God's love are incomprehensible to me.

I want to be able to experience that. I want to know the heights of joy and peace and happiness and love and hope. But the thing is if I'm not willing to embrace the sorrow and suffering that goes with it, I never will be able to. Here's the awesome thing though. When we are willing to walk through the pain and suffering of life, God is able to grow our hearts, and without us even realizing it, our feet are on the path to a life filled with all the greatest joys and delights we could ever imagine.

I was once called stoic, and I realize that is not what I want. I don't want a life free of tears--because tears come in both joy and pain. I don't want a life that is middle of the road all the time. I want the good and the bad, and I want a heart that beats in rhythm with God's heart.

Peace out yo!

Comments

  1. you just expressed everything in my heart in one blog post. beautiful love. adventures are such fun. and I've always said I embrace tears cause they make the happy times better. YES! Kindred Spirits!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!