sometimes in my tears i drown

Yesterday (Sunday) was a rather emotional day for me. So many factors compounded and I ended up crying...a lot. They were all good tears, but just the fact that I was crying at everything was just a little overwhelming.

I had a really good quiet time in the morning where God showed me a wonderful analogy about marriage based off of some verses from 1 Corinthians 3. Paul is talking about how everyone gets a foundation to build on, but each builder gets to choose their own materials. Some will build with gold, silver, precious stones, hay, straw or wood. But everyone's structure will be tested with fire on the day of judgment. When gold, silver, and precious stones are tested with fire, they are refined and purified and shine forth with true beauty. When wood, hay, and straw are tested with fire they burn away.

That is true of our walk with God as well as being true about marriages. Those who choose to painstakingly build with precious materials will reap the benefit of their hard work. Those who put up structures of cheaper quality will experience the downfall associated with their shortcuts.

So after my fantastic quiet time, I went to church (cause I finally found another church that I love). And the sermon was all about mothers and women in general and how highly God values them and how highly society should value them. The part that really made me just cry and cry was when all the men stood up and talked about their wives and mothers (and barely kept from crying themselves). To see men with such tender hearts who so clearly cherished and honored the women in their lives just brought me to tears.

Then I went to my cousin's college graduation. And I was good until I thought about my graduation coming up in 3 days(!!). I started thinking about how I am the first of my parent's children to graduate from college, and I thought about how my mom never graduated, and I started crying again. Then I had the scene from Gilmore Girls stuck in my head where Rory graduates from Yale and how her grandfather tells her mom to just enjoy Rory graduating. And I started crying more.

After graduation, I went and hung out with my lovely friend, K, and we watched Gilmore Girls. And I cried and cried. And we just had a lovely chat. She asked me if it [college] went too fast, and I could only nod my head yes because I couldn't speak through my tears. I am in such an odd place because everything is changing, and yet many things are staying the same. It's weird.

The day didn't end with me crying, though, as I ended up hanging out with the crew (part deux) until a ridiculous hour in the morning and there was much laughter. It's strange how everything is just funnier at 2:30 (or 3:30) in the morning.

This week is a lot of tying up of loose ends. I'm finishing the last few things up. Today I had my last official GAL duty. I worked on finals. I had my exit interview during which I had a minor (okay a little more than minor) freakout because the department head made a joke about me not being able to graduate unless I agreed to go into graduate work for economics. After I recovered from my near heart attack, I spent the next 20 minutes finding polite ways to say no...

And I cherished moments with good friends. It's funny how some things just really put life into perspective. When you realize that time is precious, you are a lot more conscious of how you spend your time. Every moment is a gift. In the words of Gandalf: "You have only to decide what to do with the time that is given to you."

Title comes from: One Day - Matisyahu

Peace out yo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!