a holy temple

I love the way the Bible all connects together. For instance, this last week I was reading in Matthew 21. Verse 13 says: "He [Jesus] said to them, 'It is written, My house shall be called a house of prayer, but you make it a den of robbers.'" I love this verse to start with...it's so thought provoking.

We are called God's Temple later in the New Testament, so that brings a whole new perspective to this verse. We are called to be a house of prayer, a holy place where God dwells...but we allow robbers into our temple. We allow other things into our lives that distract us from our focus on God. We allow other things into our hearts that keep us from being holy. I sat and thought about that for a long time.

But then...I was also reading Jeremiah 7. Verse 11 says: "Has this house, which is called by my name, become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, I myself have seen it, declares the Lord." This is the verse that Jesus quotes in Matthew. How cool is that!?!? That I happened to be reading both passages at the same time is ridiculous. I love the way God interweaves it all together.

Then I was also reading in Haggai. The short version of chapter 1 is that the remnant of Israelites living in Jerusalem are suffering from a famine. They don't have enough to eat. The land isn't producing. They are struggling. Then God sends a vision to Haggai where He says that they are having all of these struggles because they haven't repaired the House of God, the Temple. They have been focusing on their own homes and getting by instead of repairing God's House first. God says that when they repair His House, they will have plenty.

This gave me more to ponder on. In America, we have so much. Even as an unemployed college graduate, I have soooo much. I have a car, a beautiful house to live in, food on the table, way more clothes than I need, and so many other material blessings. And I think that's something that is wrong with the way we live. People can never seem to get enough.

I was having a conversation with a young man the other night, and upon finding out I have a degree in economics he asked why I wasn't doing anything. I said that just because I don't have a job doesn't mean I don't do anything. He clarified that he meant why wasn't I climbing the corporate ladder. I told him that lifestyle had absolutely no appeal to me. What's the benefit? You would make lots of money. I told him (and completely from the bottom of my heart meant it) that I don't care if I don't have money. As long as I have enough that's good enough for me.

He looked at me like he had never heard anything like that before in his life.

American's don't know how much is enough. We are constantly striving for more--more money, more stuff, more toys, more honor, more glory, more fame. We never seem to be satisfied with anything we get. We are like the Israelites who no matter what couldn't seem to find enough.

Maybe we should start working on God's Temple, our hearts?

Just some thoughts I've had lately. I love the way God's Word intertwines and challenges me.

Peace out yo!

Comments

  1. So exactly where I'm at right now love. The only thing I want more of is Jesus.

    And yet I live so contradictorily so often. How frustrating.

    Good thing I have friends like you to remind me of what I REALLY want in life, and not what I think I want sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Amen to all... Meli and Hannah.. Amen to that

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!