little moments

Another 12 hour work day is over. Exhaustion has set in. I thank God for days off...of which tomorrow will be one. I thank God for the strong, healthy body He has given me. I thank God for the endurance I have built up working long hours. I remember my first day of work -- a 12 plus hour day -- and how exhausted I was. Now it doesn't even phase me. Endurance doesn't come overnight. It is built up over time.

Surrounded by a dark, quiet house, with only the light over the mantel illuminating the lovely painting, I am reflecting over life and all that goes with it. Several friends will be graduating from college tomorrow. I am so proud of them, so happy for them. Yet, there is a sadness that goes with it. They are moving on.

We celebrated earlier this week. A late dinner, reminiscent of Spain and family dinners. Memories shared over glasses of red wine and good food and of course, pie. We talked into the early hours of the morning. Almost as if we all knew that this was at last the end, and none wanting to break the spell of the evening. Gifts were given. Friendships celebrated. Plans talked over. In the very early morning hours, we sang Christmas carols in the kitchen, the musical ones harmonizing, the rest of us soaking it all in. There was Silent Night, O Holy Night, Joy to the World, and many other beautiful songs. We all said farewell, and my heart cried a tiny bit.

Earlier in the week, a homecoming was celebrated. I met a dear friend at the airport. A hug was shared at the arrivals gate, and I said, You're real. It's really you. A family surprised by this unexpected present at this special time of year. Tears were shed, hugs exchanged. A prayer (or two) were answered. It was a beautiful moment, and I got to witness it.

Life goes on amidst the bright, special moments. This is the busy season. In a month, I will long for these days. Right now, I embrace them as they come. Each day full of surprises and joys and sorrows of its own.

Comments

  1. :-) this was beautifully written my love. I adore you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

I say Hi!

learning to savor