a picture of faith

I have been asking God lately to enlarge my faith. I want to live expecting greater things from God. I don't want to limit what God can accomplish in and through my life by my little faith, so I've been asking for more faith. 

Tonight as I was reading and meditating on Ruth, I thought about the book as a whole instead of just thinking about the chapter I was reading. As I did this I saw a pattern jump out at me that is fairly consistent of every story of faith that I have read in the Bible. 

The first step is a decision. In Ruth Chapter 1 she makes a decision to act in faith, to accompany her mother-in-law back to Bethlehem, to leave behind all that she had ever known. She makes a decision based upon faith, declaring her trust in the One True Living God. 

The second step is waiting. The second chapter of Ruth tells about her waiting period. During this time she does the work that God places before her. She actively trusts in God to provide daily for her and Naomi's needs. This I would also call the crucible of faith because this is where the rubber meets the road, where we are taken at our word that we trust God because we daily must act out our faith. This is the crucible because when we emerge from it, our faith is stronger, more pure, refined. 

The first two steps are our part. We must do our part in order for God to do His part. If Ruth hadn't been active in seeking God's provision for her and Naomi, God would not have been able to bring about His greater plan. 

The third step is where God comes in; this is the action step. This is when God moves on our behalf and brings about a change in our circumstances for His glory. In the third chapter of Ruth, Boaz is spurred into action in such a way that he will not rest until the matter of Ruth's redemption is settled. When it comes time for action, God will not rest until the matter is settled, until His has been most glorified through our circumstance. 

The final step is fulfillment. The action that God takes on our behalf leads to a fulfillment of our decision to have faith in our circumstance. In the case of Ruth, this fulfillment is the ultimate provision of a husband who is a worthy, God honoring man and the legacy of a son. 

I love this picture that God has painted before my eyes as I read His Word. I was so very strengthened and encouraged by this revelation, so I thought I would share with you all. 

Be Blessed.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!