on a delightfully dreary day

I have not been great about blogging lately. Perhaps my thoughts have been to personal for me to share or just not coherent enough to form a blog post, I'm not really sure which it is. There have been many things that I have been reflecting on lately, and that is natural for me at this time of year. The holidays bring memories, and the quiet days of fall and winter bring time to ponder upon these things. 

My heart has been drawn by old things lately. Old ideas written in old books by old people. The pace of life and obsession with always having new and better technology doesn't leave much space for the old things. I enjoy the benefits of the many technological advancements that we have had over the last 100 years, but I am left wondering whether these things are really making our lives better. 

I am not much of a traditionalist, and yet I find myself drawn to the way that older people live. They have lived so much longer and seen so much life. There is wisdom and purpose in their words. They live in a rhythm of going about life with quietness and with their eyes set upon the unseen goal. 

I look around me at the bustle of the holiday season, people going a mile a minute to try to catch up and make this the best Christmas ever, and it makes me sad. Where are the moments where we just stop and savor what we already have? When do we slow down and actually enjoy the season, this beautiful celebration? 

If you have been around me for any length of time you know how much I love savoring. Savor is potentially my favorite word in the English language. To live a life that is savored, well, that is one of my life's ambitions. I have found myself asking the question lately of what this looks like in my life now. What does it look like for me to savor life right now? I don't know that I will ever fully grasp what that means, but I am trying.

I am trying to sit down at my kitchen table to eat at least one meal a day. This sounds silly, but especially if I can sit down at the table and eat breakfast it really sets the tone for my day. Growing up, my family always ate meals together at the table. That is something I want for my future family. Those times spent around the table are something that I cherish, but I don't have to wait until I am married and have a family to implement that into my life. Besides, I find that so often I try to eat breakfast while I get ready or while I am trying to do a multitude of other tasks. Sitting down at the table makes me focus on the present moment, and I find I enjoy my meal so much more if I am focused on it instead of a million other things. 

This is just one way that I have been trying to savor life more. I am still learning what this means, and I will probably be learning this for the rest of my life, but I am enjoying the process. I think that is what savoring is really all about. Enjoying each thing that comes along.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!