pursue God

I have been thinking about things that are popular to say to single girls to supposedly encourage them to pursue God while waiting for their prince charming to appear. As a girl who has been single my whole life, I have heard my fair share of these statements. And if I'm honest with myself, I have probably said a fair number of cliche things to encourage other girls in times past. 

The other day, though, I really started to contemplate these things we say and why we say them. Why say: Give your heart to God and when it's time He will give it to the right man. Why say: Dance with God and when the right man comes along He will let him cut in. 

I understand the premiss; the desire is to encourage the girl to pursue God, yet give her hope that her dream is out there. However, there is just something about this that doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it is because I have heard these statements one too many times. Maybe it is because I am sick of flippant, surface answers to deep and legitimate questions. As I considered this I realized that my issue with these things really goes much deeper than that.

Here's my question: why don't we tell girls to pursue God with everything, not looking to Him to as a genie in a bottle that once you have started pursuing God, He will then give you what you want? It doesn't work like that, and frankly, that's a little insulting to God. 

Doesn't that say that we are just using God to get something? Doesn't that say that God is merely a substitute, a fill-in until we get what we really want? Shouldn't God be what we really want? 

God wants us so much more than we want Him. He wants all of us. He wants us to be wholly and completely His. He doesn't do bargains. He doesn't make deals. He doesn't play games. His character is complete and steadfast and unchanging. 

Why don't we want the King more than we want the kingdom? The kingdom is nothing if we don't have the King. God doesn't abdicate His throne in our hearts when He gives us blessings like marriage, children, and careers. 

This is what I have concluded I would tell single girls instead. Pursue God. No strings attached. Not seeking Him for anything He can give, but simply because of who He is. A deep and rich relationship with God is the greatest blessing that any of us could ever have. 

That may not seem as comforting as sentimental sayings, but I can tell you from personal experience that pursing God with all my heart is far more fulfilling than anything else. I could watch every dream and desire of my heart die and still be okay because I have Him, but if I ever lost Him, it would kill me. He will always and forever hold the first and greatest place in my heart. No man will ever change that nor should a Godly man want to. 

Comments

  1. you are so very right Lissa. This has really changed how I think about talking to my single friends and even feel convicted about my time single as well.

    This is beautiful and so are you. Could we have a phone date or skype date soon? I'm free most evenings and weekends or even mornings before 11am. OOH we could have a morning coffee skype date!?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!