giving is better than receiving

Happy Valentine's Day!! 

Just a few thoughts on this day for you. I love Valentine's Day. I just love celebrating in general, so any excuse to have a celebration makes me happy. I was thinking this morning about this penchant I have for celebrations, and whenever I think about celebrating I always think about my Grandma Sylvester, a lady who celebrated every single holiday including flag day. I am so thankful for a legacy of celebration that has been passed down to me. 

I'm going to be honest with you; I have not always loved Valentine's Day. In fact, there are several years, in the not-too-distant past where I would say that I hated Valentine's Day. As a single person on a "couple's holiday" I would just get very frustrated and depressed. But over the last several years, I have slowly been learning something not just about this holiday, but about love in general.

Jesus said it is better to give than to receive, and I for one believe it. This is what I have been learning slowly and at times painfully. I realized that I was so very focused on what I wanted to receive and wasn't. I had to experience a paradigm shift to the point where I realized that many other people need to receive what I have to give, where I am more focused on giving what I have instead of wishing to receive something I don't have and being miserable about it. 

When I give to others, I actually find myself being the recipient of far greater blessings than I could have wished for, fulfilled in completely unexpected and unlooked for ways. I have found tremendous satisfaction in the joy that comes from the truth of this statement that it is better to give than to receive, and I find that especially on this day. 

If you are struggling with your relationship status today (or any day for that matter)I would encourage you to look at what you can give instead of what you desire to receive. Look for a way to serve the people around you and pour out love on them instead of expecting someone to pour out love on you. I think you also will find yourself pleasantly surprised by the results. 

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends." - 1 Corinthians 13:6-8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!