resting

I took yesterday off. It wasn't intentional. I was actually planning to write a post before I fell asleep, but I was so tired I fell asleep without even realizing it. I realized this morning when I woke up that I didn't write yesterday. It wasn't that I didn't have time to write during the day. I did almost nothing yesterday. I even skipped church yesterday. I know.

But you know something, resting is an expression of faithfulness. The very act of taking a Sabbath day is an act of faithfulness. It says that I believe God will be faithful to help me accomplish in 6 days what the rest of the world does in 7. To rest is to intentionally say I trust God.

Perhaps I am making an excuse for just being lazy yesterday, but this has been a profound lesson in my life. Learning to rest, and not just rest but make that resting an expression of worship and holy surrender and submission to God has been a journey to say the least. It is difficult in our society to intentionally make spaces of rest. It is difficult to rest instead of strive to get ahead, to do more because there will always be more to do.

Rest expresses a faithfulness that says "I am enough. What God has given is enough." And yesterday, I just really needed to be enough. I needed to not do more. I needed to not have to do anything else. I needed to just rest into being enough.

My prayer today is that you will find moments of rest throughout your day and that you will find Sabbath rest in your week. My hope is that you too will be able to rest in trusting that you are enough. And let me encourage you that God will be faithful to meet you as you are faithful in resting in Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!