What is Beauty?

So what is beauty?


I've heard it all...everyone is beautiful in their own way...beauty is in the eye of the beholder...or a personal favorite (please note sarcasm) beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. Strangely none of these comfort me or encourage me much.

Beauty is something I have struggled with for a long time. Last summer was the first time when I actually came to believe that I was/am beautiful. And I still struggle with thinking of myself as beautiful a large part of the time. I look in the mirror, and I question if what I see is truly beautiful.

So I return again to my question...what is beauty? I am slowly coming to realize that the answer to this is actually quite simple. Everything that has God's touch is beauty. Every part of creation, every human being, every thoughtful note from a friend. These things all encompass what beauty is.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like not to live in a fallen world because that fact alone distorts everything. We live in a world where everything that is good and right and pure is distorted. Beauty has become a thing that only supermodels and movie stars have. The pursuit of "beauty" causes so many problems such as eating disorders. The desire to be "beautiful" has built the plastic surgery industry.

But that is not beauty. True beauty is everywhere if we will but open our eyes to see it. I read this quote and decided it pretty much sums up my opinion on beauty: "The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason." - John Cage

Here are some things that I find to be especially beautiful: a child smiling through their tears when they see Mommy, friends' laughter over a fabulous cup of coffee, dancing, and so many others.

So what is beauty?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!