Lessons from Gardening

I have always wanted to plant a veggie and flower garden. It is one of the things on my bucket list. So last night I was sitting in my room spending some time with Jesus, and my dad came in and asked if I would like to put a garden in because I'm "into natural things". I said sure, and today we got plants for the garden.

We got some peas and beans and peppers and watermelon and pumpkin (I thought of you H) and squash and a blueberry bush and garlic and shallots and thai basil and several varieties of tomatoes. So I got to spend the day with my dad and then I came home and put in a garden.

Here are a few of my thoughts from putting in the garden today.

My favorite veggie from the garden is sugar peas...I love them. I love to pick them off the vine and shell them and eat them fresh like that. So delicious!! However, today I discovered that my favorite veggie is actually tomatoes for one very simple reason...the planting directions.

The directions for planting a tomato say "Plant deep! Best results from burying 80% of the plant." This got me to thinking about digging deep and putting down roots. That is what we are supposed to do in our walk with God. We are to dig deep and be grounded in Him. Just like that tomato, the best result from a walk with God will be seen after burying ourselves deeply in Him.

A verse that came to mind when I was thinking about this was Ephesians 3:16-19 "I pray that according to the riches of His glory, He may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through His Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love. I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses all knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God."

I think that is part of what God is teaching me this summer. That I need to be rooted and grounded in His love. That I need to go deep with Him. I feel like I already am, but I think there is an entire other level that I haven't even discovered yet.

Sometimes when we go deep we will hit a rock, like when I was planting the blueberry bush. But we just have to keep at it until we dig the rock up. Don't let barriers come between you and going deep with God because Satan will surely throw them in there. We just have to keep digging.

So I planted a garden today. I am excited to continue to work in it and to enjoy the fruits of my labors at a later time. I also made apple pies tonight, so that was fun. And now I need to shower and get in bed because 2 AM is going to be arriving much sooner than I probably want it to, but tomorrow is going to be a fun day. Driving to KC, breakfast with K, giving pie to D, praying with H, and then on to Springfield. :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!