Thoughts on Love

The more I study God's word, the more I come to know Him, the more I seek Him out, the more I realize that I do not understand Him and I do not know Him, not as He really is. This only drives me to search for Him more, to seek Him more, to know Him more.

So I have been praying that God would help me to know Him, and I have been praying that God would help me to comprehend His love. Yesterday I was praying this, and He directed me towards the Love chapter.

As I read the familiar words, I received new insight, maybe I just hadn't read it in this version before, I don't know, but my heart leaped within me as I gained a new understanding of God's love.

"Love is patient; love is king; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful." 1 Corinthians 13: 4,5 (emphasis mine)

I read love does not insist on its own way and I suddenly understood an ounce of how much God loves us. He loves us so much that He does not insist on His own way. As I meditated on this thought, I was just overwhelmed by how powerful this is. God loves us so much that He allows us to choose the way we want to go. He will never force us to follow Him, to do things His way. It is always our choice. Even though what we so often choose breaks His heart, He will never insist on His own way.

I was listening to Living on the Edge with Chip Ingram one day and he was talking about God's justice. He was saying that people often ask how a good God could send people to Hell. His response was that a good God doesn't send people to Hell, a good God sends His Son so that no one has to go to Hell, but that same God is going to allow us the freedom to choose whether or not to we want to be with Him.

That is love for you. Choosing someone else over yourself, not insisting on your own way. God really hit me hard with this one because I'm one of those people that likes to insist on my own way. All I can say is that I have a long way to go. I think I will be studying God's love for the rest of my life and still not comprehend it, still not comprehend Him.

Love does not insist on its own way, but I think therein lies a marvelous revelation of our love relationship with God. When we don't insist on our own way, but instead choose to be surrendered to His way and His will we will reap many, many blessings for our decision, not the least of which will be an incredible outpouring of His Love which surpasses all understanding.

What a truly awesome and great God I serve!!

On another note, I am finishing my refinishing project today. Yes, the last coat of finish will be applied shortly, and then I will be finito with it!!

I have one run left with my dad before I leave. We were both lamenting that fact after our run this morning, but I think we are going to try to do some of our long runs on weekends together.

Packing is going fairly well, and my to-do lists are slowly diminishing. I have my second to last night of work tonight. I will be relieved when I am finished with that.

I had a nice chat with K yesterday and I'm going to get to see her for coffee on Friday. :) And in 5 days I will be on the beach!!!! =D

So long for now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!