Role Models

In a book study that I have been in at Potter's House this semester, we have talked about how important it is for young women to have positive role models. And yet it is so difficult to find women who are positive and encouraging role models.

I just realized the other day when I was talking to a friend about the Bible, that the women listed in the genealogy of Jesus are positive role models...now when you first look at their lives, perhaps not. One was a prostitute. One slept with her father-in-law and became pregnant with his children (she had twins). One seduced and spent the night with a man who was not her husband (she also happened to be from a people God told the Israelites never to marry). One committed adultery. And one became pregnant while engaged to be married...and her fiance had no idea how she came to be in such a compromised situation.

However, when we take a closer look at these women's lives, we find amazing stories of strong, courageous women who had incredible hearts for God...so much so that all of them were willing to risk their very lives to honor and serve Him. Now that's what I call a role model - someone who is willing to risk their life for something bigger than themselves.

The little time that I have spent studying these women has revealed to me several qualities that a good role model has. A heart for God. Faith that is larger than fear. A desire to do God's will. And allowing all of these things to guide her thoughts and actions. All of these things are good, but if they are not put into action, then what's the point.

Studying these women has also shown me how far I have to go if I want to become like them. I do pray, though with God's help that I will become a positive role model.

In other news...a friend's grandpa committed suicide yesterday. My friend was incredibly shaken up. My heart aches for God to minister to them in a way that I never will be able to. Keep them in your prayers.

Peace out yo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!