adventuring

I love adventure. I give credit for my adventurous spirit and gypsy-esque ways to my parents. I like the old tradition of having a family motto, so our family motto is "It's Always An Adventure!" My first trip was when I was a month old and we flew to Seattle. It's been difficult for me to keep my feet firmly planted in one place ever since. It is most certainly a family genetic, but since I have nothing tying me down at present I think I am much more prone to indulging in my wunderlust.

However, adventures come in all shapes and sizes, not just traveling to far off lands across the sea. Today, for instance, I have had several adventures. One of which involved the merging of two cookie recipes (and praying it would turn out well). Cooking is always an adventure...especially if I am cooking. I almost never follow a recipe exactly. I am a switch and dump cook. I switch ingredients, and I often don't measure, but rather just dump what seems to be the right amount. I've been cooking this way for years...with few catastrophes yet. Cooking can also be an adventure when you are trying a different type of food. Such as cooking Thai food instead of an all-American burger.

Another adventure I had today was packing my car. Part of this transition I'm going through is requiring me to separate my personal items into things I want to keep with me, and things I want to keep, but have no room for, and things I have no more use for. The things I want to keep, but have no room for are going up to my parents house...so since I'm headed up there in just a couple of hours, I thought I would just take a car load of stuff up. And when you have a car the size of mine, packing a full car load is always interesting. I got everything in that I needed to take up, and my apartment is looking a little more organized...the piles are shrinking a bit.

And then there is always the great adventure which I face every day: what am I going to do with my life. Out of nowhere a door opened last night, and it is one that I really want to walk through (okay, I actually want to sprint through it before it closes and turns out to be too good to be true). But the calm, logical side of my brain is telling me to relax and think it out first. As usual I am listening to the logical side. Yet, the other part is so super excited about the adventure this opportunity could present that I am having a bit of difficulty not just throwing caution to the wind and running with it.

Well, I am about to set out on an adventure tonight. A drive to Kansas, then a week spent with my parents traveling across the state of Kansas, throw in a little camping for good measure...and I have absolutely no idea what we are doing past that I need to drive up there tonight...sounds like my kind of adventure.

Peace and Mercy.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad we share and adventure heart my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!