fireworks

I had my first real 4th of July celebration in 4 years yesterday. I didn't realize how long it had been until I was sitting by the lake enjoying the fireworks last night. Then I started figuring out in my head the last time I had seen a real fireworks display.

Last year I was at a wedding, and we had fireworks that evening out at the bride's parents house. That day was ridiculously cold, though, and filled with all the wonderful wedding festivities. So it didn't really seem like the 4th.

The year before I was in Scotland. And I remembered last night that I had lost my voice. That was an interesting 4th of July. But I felt better about celebrating in Scotland than England. You see the Scottish rebelled against the English at one point as well.

The year before that I was living in Washington, D.C. with my sister, and we didn't go to the grand fireworks display because it was gross out. It had rained and then was ridiculously muggy. There were so many people and parking was a nightmare. Besides we had both see the D.C. fireworks before when we were younger.

The year before that I don't really remember celebrating the 4th of July...my family might have been in Europe or just getting back from Europe.

Anyway...It had been a couple of years since I had had a real 4th of July celebration. So last night's fireworks over the lake were delightful. There was a glimmering reflection of all the colors on the surface of the lake as the colors themselves were exploding over head. There was angel food cake and sweet tea. There was friends and children with sparklers and firecrackers.

This has been a delightful weekend at the lake. I have had new experiences, good quiet times, sunshine, and rediscovery of things I love. And now I am ready for a week of work. With any luck this week I will be painting a house as well as working at Potter's.

I will also get to see mis padres this Friday as they are driving down to SGF to bring me their car and fly out to pick up my new-to-me Toyota 4Runner. So excited to see them. Being around other people's families always makes me miss mine more.

Peace out yo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!