i'm a treasure in the arms of Christ

I read about Sloth this morning - sitting outside in the cooler, yet still super muggy morning, enjoying my orange juice and muffin. It was incredibly convicting and yet encouraging as well.

Sloth is laziness in plain terms, but the chapter I read this morning made me realize that it is so much more than laziness. It is more of a desire to do what I want in life instead of doing the normal, everyday tasks that God has set out for me to do.

What was really convicting to me is that I struggle a lot with boredom. I get tired of the same old thing all the time. And to a certain extent this is a good thing because it is good to keep freshness and energy in life, but I have to be careful about my motives. Spice and variety in life are good as long as they don't interfere with the routine tasks that I need to accomplish.

God gave us routine for a reason. The sun rises and sets every day. The seasons come and go and come again. The entire world revolves in a pattern day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. God didn't design it like that for no good reason. He had a purpose and a plan in that.

I know it is always easier for me to accomplish tasks when I have an established rhythm to how I go about things. My most productive days are when I have a set schedule of getting things done. God is merciful, though, and provides me with just enough variety to keep me on my toes and un-bored.

But the one and most important thing that I have rhythm and pattern to is my walk with God. My time with God isn't a daily task that I have to take care of. It is the refreshment of my day. It sets the mood for my day. It is the reset button that I get to push every morning and start fresh for the day. And yes, it is a routine. And yes, it does get boring at times.

But there are also days when my soul is so alive and God's Spirit is so close and the Word is fresh and new and exciting. And I would go through thousands of days of boredom and dryness to get one day like that.

"For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness." - Psalm 84:10

Forgiven - Sanctus Real

Peace out yo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!