sugar rush

I was walking and taking pictures by the lake earlier this afternoon. That's something I just love doing. I go at my own pace. I stop without warning. And I take my own sweet time. When I studied away in London my friend who I always traveled with finally got used to my way of walking and picture taking. She knew that as soon as I said the words: "That' such a pretty tree (lovely house, cool door, sweet car, etc.)" that I would be stopping to take a picture, so she automatically stopped.

Anyway...walking makes it easier for me to think. It's something about the monotony of the steps and not having anything else pressing to do besides walk that frees up my mind to think about things I don't normally think about. Like remembering my friend from that trip.

I started thinking about why I love taking pictures. I've been snapping away with a camera since I was little. My sister and I bought the same cameras in different colors from Alco when we were probably 7 or 8. Then I decided I really liked photography, so my parents gave me my own Pentax 35mm film camera when I was 10 (I think). I didn't have much luck with it as it seemed to always have problems, so a few years later they gave me another Pentax 35mm. I think I used it for 2 or 3 years before it started having trouble as well.

Then I decided to make the switch to digital. As much as I love film, I adore my digital camera. It was my 19th birthday present, and in the little over 3 years that I have had it, I have racked up almost 10,000 pictures on it. Yep...I love to take pictures.

I was thinking today why I love to take pictures, though. I think I decided that I love it because it is something I do for me. I don't take pictures for anyone else. I take them because I want to. I take them because I love to try new angles, new shots, new lighting. I don't take pictures because I'm exceptionally good at it or because people love my photography. I don't take them because I get paid. I simply take pictures because of the act of taking pictures. I love the feeling of getting that perfect shot that I wanted. I love figuring out the different settings and how they change the picture.

In the movie Sabrina (the new one with Harrison Ford, not the old one with Audry Hepburn) there is a scene between Linus and Sabrina where she tells him a little about her passion for photography. He is picking out a shot for her to take, and he lands on a lighthouse and finds a story: "What kind of guy takes a job keeping a lighthouse?" Behind every picture there is a story.

Happy 4th of July!! Happy Birthday America!

Peace out yo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!