the two-year itch

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.
~ St. Augustine

You've heard of the seven-year itch in marriages. Where after seven years the husband and wife get tired of being married and want a change. Well, I suffer from the two-year itch as I call it. About every two years I start feeling edgy. I would swear that somewhere in my heritage there is gypsy blood. I almost always feel the need to travel. After about three years of constant travel and 1,000,000 miles my parents were finally able to settle down for 6 months...and I have a long way to go to get to a million miles.

This summer it has been 2 years since I was in London. In some ways it seems like it was yesterday and in some ways it seems like it was a lifetime ago. But I am eager to travel out of the country again. I am in need of fresh sights and new experiences. I need a re-focused perspective of the world that for me can only be gained by exposure to a new and different country and culture.

More than that I am ready to see more of the beautiful creation that God has given us. Whenever I travel I am constantly amazed at the marvelous and varied landscape that God created. Gazing upon mountains I see the handprint of the Creator, and I wonder at how anyone could ever think it all just happened by chance. Beholding the sea I am awestruck to think of the power that God has to be able to speak a single word and calm the waves. Every part of creation sings praise to God, and I delight in seeing how all the different corners of the world bring Him glory. It makes my heart sing.

I was feeling rather unsettled today. I woke up feeling like I wanted to bake something. So I made scones and my roommate and I had a lovely afternoon tea (that was actually our breakfast, we were a bit on the late rising side this morning). And then tonight I made Quiche Lorianne (a la meli). Served with a side of green beans it made a delightful supper.

It is so hard to think that in a week I will be on a plane somewhere over the Pacific ocean. This is a direction I have never flown before. I have been to the west coast, but never beyond there. This will be quite the adventure...and I'm ready to meet it head on.

Peace and Mercy.

Comments

  1. That two-year itch is a traveler's curse. My two years are about up since Brasil in '08.. where to next... that's the question

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!