what to do with a day off

I have been thinking a lot lately. . .it's just kind of something I do, ya know. Plus, I've done a lot of driving lately. I was having trouble with the power steering in my car last week, so I took it to the best Mini repairman I know which means I went to see the parents. My pops was able to fix it in no time at all, so I was glad to have the excuse to see them.

Anyway, so the drive time gave me lots of time to think. Thinking and driving seem to go hand-in-hand for me. I love the time to sing along to my music (which is turned up too loud, I'm sure), pray and talk out loud, process, and just think about ideas.

I have been thinking a lot about this idea: the beach house. I have been dreaming about the possibilities and thinking about how I can serve and honor God with all of the dreams and skills and abilities He has given me. I'll tell you more about this dream some other time, but what I really love about it is the simple-ness of the life that it represents to me.

The entire thought behind it is a place to rest and savor life. I love that because it lends itself to a simple lifestyle. I have been thinking more and more about how when I have a house of my own, I want a land line phone. . .so I can get rid of my cell phone. I don't want to be always attached to the world and accessible at the drop of a hat. I want my life to be simple and restful because in order to create a place of rest, I must first be at rest myself.

The parents and I were talking about the issues we see with our culture when I was up there. (Sidenote: I love that when I sit and talk with my parents we have meaningful and substance filled conversations. . .just love that!) I started talking about how I view some of the problems with the economy, and after I finished, my dad said that one of the problems with our society is that we have good economists making pies. I thought about that. Yes, it was a statement that my job at the moment does not give me a chance to use my economics abilities. I appreciate that my dad sees that, but at the same time, I'm not sure what job I could have where I use my economics degree that would allow me the luxury of the lifestyle that I have now.

My life is simple. I work. I cook. I invest in peoples lives. I invest in time in the secret place. I want my life to be simple so that I can keep my priorities in their right places.

I love Lisa Leonard because she also loves simplicity. Today she is giving away a book called Organized Simplicity as well as some of her handmade magnets.

Today is my day off. I'm going to make some cupcakes, do some yoga, take some pictures (of the beautiful Spring flowers), and look up some new recipes to try. Happy Spring!!

Comments

  1. life is better when it's kept simple! sounds like a perfect day off! :) happy spring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

moving