thoughts lately

There are three main thoughts that have entered my mind in the last couple of days that probably speak the most about what is going on in my heart lately.

The first was from praise and worship last night. The worship leader was telling us about how important it is to remember to have times of silence in our time with God. This reminded me of a passage out of 1 Kings which I then looked up and read.


"And he said, "Go out and stand on the mount before the LORD." And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of sheer silence. And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave." - 1 Kings 19:11-13

What I realized about this passage is that so often we look for God in the big things, in the fires and earthquakes and great winds. We think that such a great God must come in these great things. It takes great discernment and wisdom to find God in the sheer silence.

Thought number two was also last night in praise and worship. The other worship leader was singing about how we think God shows up late, but He is always on time. In singing along with him, I felt the quiet yes in my soul. The yes that says I will wait on God and His timing because His timing alone is perfect.

Thought number three is because I have started reading the book Sacred Influence. Yes, this is a book targeted at married women who wish to influence their husbands. Yes, I am a single woman with no husband to influence. However, I am a firm believer that if you want to be something, you should act like it. If I want to be a leader, I have to act like one. If I want to be a massage therapist, I need to put that in to practice in my life. If I want to treat my (future) husband with respect and honor, I need to start doing that now. If I want to be an influential wife and mother, I need to start acting in a way that will make me an influential woman. And it's not like I don't have plenty of men in my life to practice on.

So all of that to say that thought number three has to do with the fact that I want to be a woman worthy of honor and respect. I want to treat myself as worthy of respect, and I want to treat the people and especially the men around me with respect. I realize that these people may not give me their respect. But even if I don't receive their respect, I can do something better. I can deserve their respect. And I can deserve it by giving it and being a woman who is worthy of it. I can start now to be a woman who is worthy of my (future) husband.

Oh, and just one more thought for good measure. Something my pastor said yesterday. The most important thing to realize as a child of God is that we are sooo loved and accepted by our Creator. And when we come to that understanding and realization we are free to be able to love people without having to have their approval. I'm not sure why, but that was an incredibly freeing realization for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!