my favorite holiday

I love Thanksgiving, not in the way that many people love holidays looking forward to them all year long, but rather I love Thanksgiving because of the lack of pretentiousness of this holiday. It is this quiet little holiday stuck between Halloween and Christmas, and it is generally overshadowed by the bear that is black friday.

I love this holiday because no one complains about the political correctness of Thanksgiving. No one makes a big stink about whether we can call a tree by one name or another. Really no one can find basis for complaining about a holiday where the point is to be thankful.

And yet, this is my favorite holiday because celebrating this holiday is actually being obedient to God. "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (emphasis mine)

I love this verse because it tells us we only have to give thanks whenever things are going well. . .

No, it doesn't. It says to give thanks in all circumstances. When things are going well, when things are going horrible, when you are walking well, when you are stumbling in darkness. It says give thanks, no matter what is going on in your life. I guarantee that if you start looking that no matter what your situation you can find something to be thankful for on this day, and every other day because while this is a day specifically for giving thanks, God's Word does not limit us to only giving thanks today.

I am thankful today that I get to be with my sweet family when there are people who have no family or don't get to be with their family or have a family they don't want to be with. I am blessed beyond what I could ever earn or deserve which is why I know that God is here and real and good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!