discipline

Someone once said that discipline is not about what you want right now, but rather about what you want most. I agree with that statement with my whole heart. I went for a 4+ mile run tonight which in and of itself doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you consider that I spent 10 hours at work on my feet today it is a little bigger deal. 

I realized when I laced up my running shoes tonight that this was not about what I wanted to do right then. It was about what I wanted most. You see, I'm going to be doing a triathlon in August with my mum, and so I need to be working out more. That is something I want more, more than wanting to just put my feet up at the end of a long day at the end of a long week. 

And I'm so glad that I went running because I was reminded of so many things I love about running. I love the feeling of having to go beyond what I think I can do because that is where God comes in. I love the feeling of pushing myself a little bit farther. But what I really love about running is the deep joy I get when I run. When I run there is a joy that wells up within me that comes from a deep river of joy. 

I love the joy of discipline. You see discipline never seems that pleasant at the moment, but discipline is all about the long term. Discipline is about an investment into something lasting. I'm not sure that anything in my life has taught me more about discipline than running, and for that I will ever be grateful that God called that forth in my and for that I will ever love running.  

Comments

  1. Wow! Good Job!! I look up to you, because I am definitely not a runner!! :) But I couldn't agree more about discipline... it's true in so many areas of life!

    Also, in response to the comment you left me...
    I actually have not read Northanger Abbey yet either. My sister just finished it, so I watched the movie with her! We did like it, but my sister did say the book was better, of course!!! Northanger Abbey is next on "my books to read..." list! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

I say Hi!

learning to savor