late night musings

Apparently my afternoon nap was not such a great idea. It has been a long time since I have been this wide awake this early in the morning. Here's to hoping that writing will get my thoughts to slow down a bit. 

I was re-reading some of my old blog posts today, and I realized that while I have often talked about my sorrows and my frustrations that accompany my unmet desire to be married, I have infrequently written about the joy, peace and contentment I have found in my singleness. I have spent a lot of time complaining about my singleness, and not a whole lot of time telling you about what a sweet gift it has become to me. 

Yes, my singleness is a gift. And I'm not talking about the kind of gift that you wish came with a gift receipt so you could take it back and get what you really want. I'm talking about my singleness being an incredible, priceless, valuable treasure. God has given me this season of singleness for a purpose. While I have at times wondered what that purpose might be, I have always known that He has had a purpose in this season. 

I rejoice because of the way I have been able to grow and establish myself before the Lord as a woman after His heart. I have been able to dig a deep well that will sustain me through all the seasons ahead. I rejoice at the deep friendships I have been able to develop and the people I have been able to pour into. I rejoice that I have been blessed with a season of learning to be whole and complete in myself, of learning to be at home in who God has created me to be. 

I rejoice in the opportunities this gift has given me. I have been able to travel. I have been able to become a massage therapist. I have been able to start my own business. I have had time to read. I have had time to train for and finish several endurance events. I have been able to have late night chats at Ziggies with dear friends. 

I'm not saying I wouldn't have been able to do all of these things if I had been in a relationship or married, but I am saying that I know myself, and I know that I would have made less time for these things. 

As it is, I have had plenty of time to watch and observe the friends and family around me. I have had plenty of time to see what I do and do not want to do in a relationship. I have had plenty of time to study and establish habits and realize what important things are. 

My singleness has truly become a valuable gift to me. I am honored that God has given it to me, and I hope and pray that I will be a good steward of this gift until God grants me a different one. Until that time, I will be thankful and rejoice in what He has given me, because every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights(James 1:17). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!