are you willing?

There are many things that I love about my job, but I think that one of the things I love best is how I have lots of time to think and pray. I love thinking. I love praying. And I love when God uses my job to show me things about Him.

Today I had to step out of my comfort zone. I love making people feel better, but my heart is to bring healing to people. I desire to actually make a difference in a person's whole well being, body, mind, soul, spirit, and heart. It is all connected. Wellness is about all of you being well together. 

While this is my heart, the majority of the time I just make people feel better. And I have become comfortable in that. Where I'm not comfortable is when I actually have a client who wants treatment, who needs a specific type of treatment that I am not well practiced in. That's what happened to me today. I had to take a step out of my comfort zone. I had to do something that I wasn't familiar with. I had to do something I haven't done, even though it's what I want. 

I was finishing and realizing that while I wasn't as familiar with what I had just done, I had a thrill in my heart from having accomplished that which scared me. The unfamiliar is always a little bit scary to me. Doing something I haven't done makes me nervous. It causes me to ask questions like: What if I fail? What if I'm not smart enough? What if I am unable to accomplish the task set before me? 

“If you want something you’ve never had, you must be willing to do something you’ve never done.” - Thomas Jefferson

This thought came to mind as I was thinking about all of this, and I felt excitement in my spirit. The same thing applies with the church and our relationship with God. If we want to experience God in ways we never have, we must be willing to step outside of our comfort zone. If we want to experience a fresh movement of the Spirit, we must be willing to embrace what God wants to do in a way that we have never embraced Him before. 

We have to have a willingness to let God be God. We have to be willing to set aside all that we think we know of God and acknowledge that He is far beyond all we could ever think or know about Him. We have to be willing to let God our of the boxes we have put Him in. We have to be willing to experience Him in new ways. We have to be willing to trust Him outside of our comfort zone. 

He will always meet us in that place, if we are just willing to step out in faith. This happened to me last night. I believe that God has given me many spiritual gifts, and I have to admit that I am usually scared to use them because it is outside of my comfort zone. God has been asking me to walk into those gifts more fully, though. He has been asking me to lay aside myself and walk into the things that He has for me, so I did, and I grew. 

The first thing I do every morning is surrender myself and my day to God. I want Him to know that I am willing to do what I have never done because I want to experience Him in ways that I never have. I want to go to a level with Him that I have never been to before, so I am telling Him that I am willing to do whatever He wants me to do to get to that place. Then I trust Him to get me there as I step out into the unfamiliar because I know that He is faithful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!