thinking long term

I read an article this morning about how to train to finish a marathon well. While I don't think I will train for another marathon (the last one really was my last one), I still found the article fascinating because life is a marathon, my walk with God is a marathon, and I want to know how to finish it well. I want to finish strong, pushing through the last miles, straining for the finish line. 

It inspired me because running a marathon is all about pacing yourself. You must pace yourself so you don't burn out in the first 18 miles. You must pace yourself so you don't quit when you get to mile 24. The same is true of my walk with God. Pacing myself is what it's all about. I don't want to burn out when I hit 40. I don't want to fall out of the race at 60. I want to be all in all the way. 

I have always enjoyed the long run. When I was training, I loved my days where I did my long runs of 14, 16, 18 and 20 miles. In studying economics, I enjoyed studying and theorizing about the long term effects of a policy or idea. In studying massage therapy, I am amazed at the way health is really a long term commitment. I am all about the long term. This is actually a word that God has spoken to me and over me many times. I believe that I will run the race of life well and that I will finish strong. 

But I believe that because I am training. I believe that because I am pacing myself. I believe that because I am looking toward the Author and Perfecter of my faith, and trusting Him to be my pacesetter. I believe that because articles like the one I read inspire me to go beyond what I think I can do and inspire me to press forward as the race gets longer. 

Pace yourself. Press onward. Strain forward for the finish. And don't let looking back slow you down. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!