voting

I typically refrain from making political posts because while politics is something I have very strong opinions about, I try not to engage myself in political conversations. This may or may not be wrong depending on your own opinions and views, but the fact of the matter is that I have just had one too many heated political conversations, and I am tired of people arguing with me because of my opinion. 

This post while political in nature is really about something more. It is a post about respect and responsiblity. Several things have happened lately that has just caused me to believe there is something seriously lacking in the way we deal with politics. 

Let me just tell you where this post is coming from. The other day I watched this video. Please go watch it before you continue reading, as it will make everything that I am talking about clearer. I was disgusted when I watched that. Is this the level we have stooped to in America? In the words of my lovely graphic designer friend: "Sex sells, but it's terribly uncreative." 

So I watched that video a couple of days ago, and I have reflected on it since then. I realize the purpose of the video is to target young people (especially young women), who have never voted in a Presidential election before, to go vote. The majority of young people do not vote, and it was most likely the young vote that won the election for President Obama last time around, so I guess I see where they are coming from. 

However, this is my question. Is sex the greatest motivator for the young people in our country? If that is their strongest point of sway, then I greatly fear for the future of our nation. 

This is what I was taught growing up. Voting is a privilege and a responsibility. There are many countries and peoples in the world who do not have this freedom that we here in America take for granted. Our founding fathers were selective about who they wanted voting because they were afraid of people voting who had not taken the time to educate themselves about the issues and the candidates. They did not want what they worked so hard to build to come crumbling down because people were unwilling to be wise. 

I am not saying that what they did was right or wrong. I am just attempting to explain where I believe they were coming from. I am glad that as a woman I have a right to vote. I am glad that there were women who fought for that right for me. I don't take that for granted, and I don't take it lightly. 

I think that is what I find most disturbing about the attitude that is so evident in this video. It is making light of something that is very important, something that people have fought and died for, something that should be honored and respected. And now we are relating that to sex. Really? There is a whole other issue about the way sex is being treated in this video, but that's another post for another time. 

I guess what I'm saying here is think about what it means to vote. Think about the people who have come before you and have fought for you to have that right. Educate yourself on the issues. Educate yourself on the candidates. We have been blessed to live in a country where we are free to exercise this privilege, but we must be responsible with that freedom. We must not take it for granted or treat it casually because just as we stand on the shoulders of those who have come before us, we will be the shoulders that the next generation will stand upon.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!