faith for the impossible

I believe in impossible things. I believe in them because with God nothing is impossible. He is able to do far more abundantly than all we could ever ask or imagine. I have faith for impossible things because God in His infinite goodness has allowed me to experience the impossible in my life. I don't always do a good job remembering this, but on November 1st I always remember that God is able to do the impossible because this is an anniversary of the impossible happening in my life. 

I call days like today a day of remembrance. I look forward to them. I have great expectations about them. I remember what God has done and anticipate what God will do. I have several of these days scattered throughout the year, but I am particularly fond of this one. 

November 1, 2003: The day that I realized that I was alive for a reason. As someone who struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts in my early teen years, that was a major realization. On a very cold morning, I stood looking at a wreck that I should not have walked away from, especially without any physical harm, and I knew that God had a plan for my life. To realize at age 15 that I was alive for a reason and that I had purpose in life has been an incredible blessing. I have never doubted since then that I am here for a reason. 

November 1, 2009: God allowed me to do something I considered to be impossible. I ran a marathon. Sometimes God has to take us through something so that we will know Him and trust Him more, so that He can teach us the lesson that He wants us to learn. For me, one of those things was a marathon. I am not a runner. I now love to run (even though I don't run much currently), but when I started running it was a huge sacrifice. I didn't even know why I was running, but I just felt God tell me that I needed to. 

I remember actually having the audacity to say that if God asked me to run a marathon I would have an issue with it. Famous last words. It was just such an impossible thing for me to imagine. I couldn't even run 2 miles, and a marathon is 26.2 miles. To me that might as well be God asking me to go to the moon. I am so glad that God is not limited by me and what I think is possible. He told me that He wanted to do impossible things in my life, and that finishing a marathon was going to be proof to me that He would do them if I would just let Him. He took something impossible for me and made it possible. 

November 1, 2012: I look into the face of promises that God has made to me that if I look at them through my eyes seem like there is no way they could ever happen. There are dreams in my heart that I know were placed there by God, that just seem like wishful hopes that will never come to fruition. I look ahead to the fulfillment of these promises because I look back and remember what God has already done. I know that I can trust Him, that I can commit my way to Him because I know that He will act. 

That's why I have days like today, days set up to remember the things that God has done in my life, days to help me look forward to what God is going to do. I love this day of remembrance because it reminds me to look at life differently, to look at the things I see as impossible in a new light. I believe that with God nothing is impossible because I have seen the impossible happen. I have experienced the impossible, and trust me, there is nothing more glorious than that moment where you stand on the other side of something you considered to be impossible and realize that God has brought you through it. I stand today in that faith.

Comments

  1. Melissa, this is amazingly God timed. I'm printing out sheets for a Bible study I'm doing in 15 minutes with high school girls on Luke 2, with the memory verse "Nothing is impossible with God". This blog is now the perfect ending for our time together today. BAM. :) Love this, and thank GOD He has carried you through all these times. I believe and anticipate He will bring GREAT PROMISES into fruition for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly! I'm glad that God fit that together! :) I appreciate how supportive and encouraging you are to me, and I'm so thankful that God brought you into my life through unique circumstances. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!