fingernails and sanctificiation

I have been thinking about fingernails lately. They are a constant problem for me because of my job. Every day I have to deal with them, cutting them, filing them. It is a continually present issue that requires daily attention. It seems like even when I have dealt with them, I can still feel the little, tiny, sharp edges sticking out.

As I have been struggling with my fingernails, I realized that this is much like my walk with God. Hang in there with me. I know fingernails to God is bit of a quantum leap.

I have a daily struggle with my human nature. I fight laziness in the morning as I cling to my blankets. I fight my sharp tongue in my conversations with others. I fight my propensity to not steward my body well with healthy eating and exercise. I fight my thoughts that would be less than good, kind, and excellent. I struggle daily.

I have to daily surrender myself to God and His will. I have to daily attend to these things. I have to daily posture myself to hear His voice. I have to daily come into His presence and be washed and sanctified by the reading of His Word. I have to daily accept the free gift of grace that He has given. 

As I do, I find things getting trimmed and sharp edges getting filed down. I find it a little easier to crawl out of bed in the morning to face whatever the day holds. I find my words to be kinder. I find a taste for better foods and healthier habits. I find it easier to take every thought captive. 

This is why I daily come to God just as I daily tackle my fingernails.

"For this is the will of God, your sanctification" - 1 Thessalonians 4:3    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!