on not making resolutions

I decided this year to not make resolutions. Let me tell you why.

Change doesn't happen in big grand gestures. Change happens a little bit at a time through little decisions we make every day. So instead of making big decisions about what I want to accomplish this year, I decided to make little decisions every day to move in the direction I want to go. 

This year I learned a lot about friendships, what they are, what they aren't, and most importantly who in my life are real and true friends. I am so very grateful for each one of them because they are in large part the reason I made it through this last year. I'm trying to be more intentional in those friendships. Letting those people know that I appreciate them and care for them, that this friendship thing isn't just a one way street. I know there are going to be some days where I fail pretty miserably at being there for those people, but I am sure going to try to get better at it every day.

This last year really shook my walk with God. I have questioned and wrestled and been angry and bitter. I have cried. I have screamed. I have railed at Him. And you know what, He is big enough that He could handle all of it. But many years ago, I made the decision to stake my life on God's character, and that anchor holds because His character is unshakable and unchanging. I am making daily choices to continue to stake my life on Him and to walk ever farther with Him. 

I dealt with a lot of depression and hurt this year. I am making decisions to live in spite of that, to see the joy in little things, to find the beauty in every day, to learn to bless instead of cursing. I am learning to let others help me, even as I pour out. 

Probably the closest I could come to a resolution is this last one I'm going to share. I've decided to live without expectations. Without expectations there is no disappointment because disappointment comes in when there is a difference between our expectation and our reality. If you take away the expectation there is no opportunity for disappointment. 

And yes, this is much easier said than done, but instead of living my life built on expectations, I am choosing to surrender my expectations to my good Father, and to live in the reality of the goodness He has placed around my life. I am choosing to live in the freedom of reality instead of the confining disappointment of unfulfilled expectations. 

Here's to 2014, a new year and a new chance to make new choices every day. Be blessed and Shalom. 

Comments

  1. I have reentered the bloggerspepher (who knows how long) and I'm so happy I didn't miss this post. The more I learn about change (and how utterly bad at it I am) the more I learn about baby steps and the value of taking things one day at a time until things become habits. It sucks, but I've made more headway in the last two months than I have in like four years...so that's good!

    I love you. I'm sorry this last year was hard. Drink some tea for me ok? I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!