healing

I have spoken much about brokenness on here, especially over the last year, but I have spoken little about healing, and I think that is because I don't think that I have really understood what healing is or what it looks like. I always think about healing as the miraculous works that Jesus did. The instantaneous "Get up and walk" and "Your faith has made you well" and "I will. Be clean." This is what I have always had in the back of my mind as healing

Over the last year I lost track of the number of times I asked God to heal me, comfort me, fix my brokenness. But I heard no voice granting me that healing in a moment. I felt no comfort in my pain. I was continually overwhelmed by my brokenness. 

Healing like the Healer is mysterious, and I do not claim to understand it. All I have is my personal experience of healing which like almost everything else in my life has not come in the least how I expected it to. 

I always thought healing would be a big, grand moment that God gave me, a parade down main street full of balloons and fanfare. Instead healing has quietly and softly stolen in the back door when no one was looking. I always thought that I would cease feeling broken and that would be when I knew I was healed. Instead healing has made me more aware of my broken nature. 

I thought healing would mean kicking the brokenness out the front door, and having coffee with peace and comfort instead. When in reality healing has been sitting with the brokenness and the peace and comfort. The reality is that if I want the healing I have to embrace the brokenness. The reality is if I want the fullness I have to embrace the ache. The reality of healing is that healing and brokenness walk hand in hand.

Because, because, brokenness will always exist in this world. I could be healed of everything that is or could ever be wrong with me, but in the end, the brokenness of this world will still exist. My body will wear out and pass away. Every person Jesus healed has died. No one has escaped the brokenness of the world.

This world is broken, and we are broken people. But that brokenness doesn't mean that we can't walk in the path of healing. It is mysterious and incomprehensible and trans-rational. I don't have healing figured out, but I do know one thing. I know that I can trust the Healer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!