stories

Stories captivate me. They always have. Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved stories. Some of my first memories are of my mom and dad reading to me. I don't remember a time when stories weren't a part of my life. I don't remember when I learned to read because I was so little, and I have been unable to put books down ever since. 

I love to read stories. I love to write stories. I love to sit and listen to stories. I love telling stories.

When I hear someone's story it beings me closer to them. It tells me about who they are, and it connects me with them. Stories make me happy. They make me sad. A story takes me on a journey with that person. I become friends with the person who's story I hear. Some of my best friends from childhood were Anne, Lizzie, the Boxcar Children, Elise, Jo, Rose, Polly, Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, and countless others. I became acquainted with them through their stories. When they went through trials I head about it. 

I still love the stories of my literary friends, but I have come to love the stories of my real life friends even more. I love to hear the joy and sorrows of my friends, to grow closer with them through their stories and the journey they take me on. 

Stories have a power over me. I get lost in them. Which is a beautiful thing. I love to become so lost in a story, it tells me the author is a good storyteller. My imagination is about to run wild, and I am on the journey with my favorite characters. I'm there when Anne breaks her slate on Gilbert's head. I get to hear the scorn in Lizzie's refusal of Mr. Darcy's first marriage proposal. I get to solve mysteries with the Boxcar children. I experience southern life with Elise. I grieve with Jo when Beth dies. I suffer with Polly in unrequited love. I journey with Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam throughout Middle Earth.

Somewhere along the way, though, I had to learn a very important lesson. I have a story. As much as I love all these other stories both literary and real, I cannot lose my story in the midst of their stories. As much as I love hearing my friend's stories, I have to remember that they are their stories. My story is unique because I am unique. 

My tendency is to hear someone's story and think that my story should be like that. Over the last year, I came to realize not only that I have a story, but that my story is going to be completely different than anyone else's story simply because I am me, and the Author is so creative that He writes a unique story for everyone. And just like my favorite books, I cannot wait to turn the page and read the next chapter because I love the story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!