faithfulness in choices

Making decisions can be a difficult thing, especially the big and important decisions like where to move, what job to take, who to marry, etc. If you are at all like me, you often find yourself in these decisions with the biggest question at the forefront of your mind being "Is this God's will for my life?" I cannot tell you the number of decisions and hours and days and weeks and months and years I have agonized over wanting to make the "right" decision to make sure I'm in God's will.

Finally, a little over a year ago, I had a realization that I get choices. This may not sound that life changing to you, but it was revolutionary for me. God gives us choices. He isn't sitting up in heaven, watching, waiting for me to make the "right" choice so that I can continue to walk in His will or smite me if I choose the "wrong" thing. He is beside me, offering counsel as I seek Him. He is in the voices that speak wisdom to me as I face choices. And He is always faithful to direct me to His path, even when I may not make the "right" choice.

God wants us to be in His will just as much as we want to be in His will. He isn't going to hide it from us or try to confuse or mislead us. But neither do we have to wait to hear the audible voice of God telling us what to do.

I do believe there are times when God will direct us specifically, and in those instances it is radically important to be radically obedient. But most of the time that is not the case. Most of the time He gives us options and allows His plan to work through our choices.

And you know what, nothing I can do will upset the plans of God, and it's a little arrogant of me to think that I could. That makes me a little too big, and God a little too small. And it certainly undermines the faithfulness of His character.

Trust me, if God can take a murder and turn him into Moses, and an adulterer and turn him into David, I think He can handle us too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!