faithfulness of character

It is an election year. ISIS is running unchecked across the middle east. Ebola is devastating western Africa. Countless other tragedies are striking around the world. It's easy to get caught up in these situations, to get worked up about them, to start being fearful and worried. It's easy to lose perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we shouldn't be caring about these situations. I pray for the elections, the situation in the middle east, the tragic loss of life in Africa. It breaks my heart to see and hear about these situations.

But. I am a member of God's Kingdom. And I know the character of my God. He is faithful. He is good. He is just. He is holy. He is merciful. He is abounding in steadfast love. He is righteous. And I know that at the end of the day He is in control. Which is a very good thing because all of these situations are completely out of my control.

I can vote in the upcoming elections, but my vote will be one among millions. I can't do anything to stop the killings and devastation in Iraq and the middle east. I can't heal the people with Ebola. I can't stop or fix any of the tragedies around the world. I am powerless in these situations.

But I serve a King who is power. He alone is able to influence and affect these situations. And I trust Him. I trust in His faithfulness. Even when I don't see it. To believe and trust in God means to live in the tension and mystery of these things. I know that He could stop Ebola with a single word. He could end the ISIS terror with His little finger. And yet. The world is broken. And yet. God is still faithful.

This is a difficult lesson. I don't get it or understand it. My heart aches with the desire for God to act, to redeem, to fix the brokenness. I live in the tension of now and not yet. God has won the victory, yet the victory is still coming. So I dwell in the mystery of trust. I dwell in the mystery that is God's character.

My prayer is that whatever you are facing, whatever is causing you worry or doubt or fear, that you would trust in God, that you would come to know His character and that His character is faithful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!