a non-political, political post

I try not to write about politics. More than almost anything else, politics seem to drive people apart and cause division and hurt. It doesn't have to be this way as this article explains, but that is the way it has become throughout my lifetime. And the older I get, the more it makes my heart ache. 

The current election, in particular, drains my soul. My soul longs for people to live together in harmony and love (yes, I realize this sounds a little hippie-ish, please bear with me). What has been tearing my heart up over the last few months is the basic lack of respect for other people. As I have grown close to the Lord over the course of my life, I have come to know His heart for me: I am His beloved daughter. 

This has been a beautiful revelation simply because of the larger revelation that it brought: every single person (regardless of whether they acknowledge God or not) is a beloved son or daughter of God. Every single person - past, present, and future - is created in the image of a Creator who loves them. It makes no difference their race, their religion, their personal feelings on political topics, their work ethic, their gender. Every single person is an image bearer and beloved child of God and, as such, deserves basic human respect. 

Over the last eight or so years, God has been writing this message deeply on my heart, so it makes me a little bit angry when I read and hear people say that other human beings are worthless. No human is worthless. And no human has the right to declare what does and does not give worth to a person.

I'm tired of people who should be showing us how they intend to lead our country bickering and fighting and calling each other names. I'm tired of people devaluing human beings in pursuit of their own ends. When did we stop being human? When did we stop believing in the beauty of other human beings? When did we stop caring for people?

Do I get scared about things? Absolutely! Do I want to live in safety and peace? One-hundred-percent Yes! But I don't think for even one second that my fears or desires rank above honoring other people. This is a big, huge, beautiful world where we are privileged to live. It is full of amazing sights and sounds. But what makes this world amazing are the people - wonderful, beautiful, interesting, diverse people. 

And my heart cries that other people don't value this. My heart cries that all these wonderful and beautiful people are not valued for their quirky diversity. My soul mourns for the state of our country and our world, but more than that my soul mourns for the state of our hearts that we now consider other human beings to be expendable instead of valuable. Shame on us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!