communion

I watched this sermon on communion the other day. Shortly thereafter I had a conversation about communion with a friend, and I realized that while we practice the sacrament of communion, we often don't take time to understand it or to think about what it really means. 

We lose a lot of the meaning of communion because we don't take it as it was intended to be taken, in the context of a meal. When Jesus instituted communion, it was during the feast of Passover. We relegate communion to a tiny cup of grape juice and a little wafer when it was intended to be part of a feast. Why does it matter? It matters because we can get the idea that God is stingy when really He is lavish and generous and giving. 

It also matters because of the venue. Jesus gathered His disciples around a table. As a child my family always ate together. We didn't have the distractions of tv and cell phones at our meals. We just spent time in fellowship with each other. We talked about the day. We ate together. We fought over how many more bites I had to take before I could be done. We connected around our table. Something magical happens when we get together at a table with people, and it is a beautiful thing to witness. 

We also lose the implications of communion when we put limitations and boundaries on who can take communion. Different churches vary on this, and there are as many different opinions about who is worthy to take as there are people. I have to admit that even up until a couple of years ago that I felt very strongly about who could - and couldn't - take communion. I still feel strongly, but it is a much different opinion than I used to have. 

I heard a pastor once quote 1 Corinthians 11:27 which says: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord." (ESV) (Side note: The video I posted at the beginning of this post deals with this verse very well.) The pastor went on to encourage us to think long and hard about what we had done before coming to the table of the Lord. And while I did not previously feel like I had seriously mis-stepped in my walk with God, I remember being concerned that I was going to take communion in an unworthy manner. I wish I had known then what I know now.

Communion is not exclusive. Communion is inclusive. Communion is the time where we draw near to God, and yes, part of that process is repentance and acceptance of the sin in our lives. But we as the church should not be using communion to isolate people. Everyone is welcome at the Lord's table. This is the place where we commune with Him and with each other. This is the place of understanding that Jesus established this new covenant with everyone. He gives His body to redeem all. He sheds His blood to establish a new covenant with all. 

I remember the turning point for me when I started to realize that communion wasn't just reserved for certain people. It was the moment that someone pointed out to me that Jesus served communion to Judas. Judas who had already been entered into by Satan. Judas who had already gone to the religious leaders to betray Jesus. Jesus knew what Judas was going to do, and He let Judas be a part of His covenant ceremony anyway. 

Communion is very meaningful to me. It is one of the sweetest ways that I connect with God. This hasn't always been the case, but I am grateful that the Lord has dealt graciously with me as I have learned about it. I am by no means an expert on communion, just an advocate for it. This is also by no means a comprehensive post on communion, just a couple of thoughts that I had. 

My prayer is that you would explore communion on your own, that you would have conversations about it, and that you would partake and meet the Lord at His table where He eagerly longs for you to join Him. The invitation is open to all.

"This is the table, not of the Church, but of the Lord.
It is to be made ready for those who love him and who want to love him more.
So, come, you who have much faith and you who have little,
you who have been here often and you who have not been for a long time,
you who have tried to follow and you who have failed.
Come, not because it is I who invite you: it is our Lord.
It is his will that those who want him should meet him here." *

*Borrowed from the Iona Community.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!