reflecting

I'm not sure I could have imagined a better end to 2012 than the masquerade ball my church had last night, and I'm not sure I could have asked for a better start to 2013 than this day. The weather outside is perfect for staying inside all cozy and snuggled in my blankets and reflecting on an ending and a beginning. Throw in a little jazz, and I am quite content.

I was thinking back over this year which seemed to go so fast and yet seems as though it was ages ago when it started. I am so blessed, and I realized just how much happened this year. I'll try to keep it short-ish.

About this time last year God was telling me to prepare. I had no idea what for or why He was telling me that, but I attempted to be faithful in doing what He asked me to. Looking back now I can see many of the things He was preparing to do. I took a nice little retreat to spend several days in solitude waiting upon the Lord. I am still experiencing the fruit of that time.

In February, I made a transition to a new community, leaving one that was excellent for another that is excellent. How much change that decision would bring into my life! The friends this change has brought into my life are such a blessing and a continued answer to a prayer prayed many years ago. 

March saw a growing experience as I took my first international missions trip to the mountain villages of Mexico. I was impacted with a desire to be more hospitable and live more simply. I had a greater desire to give more of myself and my resources. I saw with new eyes.

The months that followed in the transition from Spring to Summer taught me about fasting as I have never learned before.

June saw me preparing to graduate from massage therapy school. I was blessed to get to celebrate with a dear sister from my Bible study in college as she established a covenant relationship with her husband.

July saw a realization of a dream of self-employment as well as the challenges and struggles that accompanied it. There was a trip north to spend a week with my family in Minnesota, deepening those relationships while enjoying a break from the heat of Missouri summer. 

August held a triathlon relay with my parents, and a rekindled desire to become a triathlete (which I hope and plan on accomplishing in 2013).

September said good-bye to my last remaining part-time job. I celebrated another wedding of a dear, dear Bible study friend and was so excited to get to make cupcakes for her wedding. There was a flying one day trip to celebrate my mom's 50th birthday with a surprise party.

October came with a visit to see a dear friend in LA. A week full of delightful exploits and topped off with a trip to the beach brought refreshment to my weary body and soul. A third Bible study girl's wedding was celebrated and brought a reunion of old friends.

November came with delight of not having to work any holidays. I remembered many old things and hoped for new things.

December brought snowy mountains in Colorado with skiing and family. Holidays filled with joy, love, and laughter have been the closing out of this incredible year. 

As I look back over this last year, I am overwhelmed with God's goodness. I am reminded that even in the midst of tragedy and loss and change that God is still and always good. I am reminded to look for the beauty and joy to be found in seeking the Beautiful Joy Giver. 

2013 begins for me with a glad and expectant heart as I seek all that God desires to do in this new year. Be blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Beauty

learning to savor

I say Hi!